As I mentioned last week I’m taking a short break from my doily to work on another project. It needs to be done before we go on vacation! And as it’s getting close to Independence Day I thought I’d do this project in patriotic colors. This is going to be the hatband on a floppy brimmed hat and it’s about half done. As you can see the ends have not yet been trimmed. I like to leave those until I’m done and then go around and trim them all off. I’ve always thought that the most aggressive handling of a piece is usually in it’s construction and if an end is going to have trouble, this is when it will happen. By leaving them all to the last I can check all my ends as I finish the piece when I cut the threads. I’m calling this motif #7 of the 25 Motif Challenge, even if it’s not quite done.
The wheat in the picture is from the field outside our house. They’ve already started cutting the fields close by and this field could be cut at any time. We actually came home from work yesterday and were surprised that it hadn’t been cut. This is what it looks like today. Any time now it will be much shorter.